Research Assistant Internship Program
The Nightingale Counselling and Research clinic offers a research internship program each summer to support university students in their development through the advancement of our research projects. This opportunity is available for students who are specifically interested in applied, professional counselling therapy as a practice and as a target of research (as it is different than academic psychology). We welcome applicants from a range of academic focuses including psychology, qualitative research methods, philosophy, etc.
The Nightingale Research Assistantship is an appointment by the Nightingale research leads. Under the supervision of the members conducting the research project, the Intern is responsible for assisting with a variety of non-administrative tasks, which may include preparing resources and materials, communicating and coordinating between participants, and documenting process and results of the research activities. The research project is intended to provide the opportunity to learn proper research procedures and techniques. The supervising staff is responsible for providing ongoing feedback.
The following general duties may be required to assist in the preparation for and achievement of the research goals:
- Research and collect data, library research, structured interviews or other project specific methodology.
- Interprets, synthesizes and analyzes data.
- Schedules, organizes and reports on status of research activities.
- Writes and edits materials for publication and presentation.
- Meets with staff supervisor(s) on a regular basis to maintain ongoing communication regarding the quality of the assistant’s performance.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Supervision and Mentoring Plan
During the work term, the Communications Assistant will:
- Receive on-the-job orientation and training
- Report to the Founding Directors of Nightingale Counselling
- Receive regular supervision meetings as well as provide ongoing direction throughout the work term.
- Create a formal mentoring plan with professional development goals identified by the student related to their career aspirations.
If you are interested in reading more about our projects, please see THE LHS PAGE to learn more about our current research project. You can read about our 2021 INTERN here.
If you are interested in applying for the Research Assistant Internship please see the information below.
APPLICATION WINDOW FOR 2022 RESEARCH ASSISTANT INTERNSHIP IS FEB 1 TO MAR 31. We interview and hire on a rolling basis, and encourage enthusiastic applicants to submit their application at the opening of the window.